Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:55:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
To:        Charles Reese <reese@chem.duke.edu>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News on FreeBSD

> I am also interested in setting up News and at the risk of getting roasted I
> would like to ask if anyone has used a multiple PC/FreeBSD system using IDE
> drives.  For the same price as the SCSI system one could get 3- 486s each
> with 2 enhanced IDEs.

(No knives be thrown)
I have never seen that being used.  But for all the I/O that a news server
does, IDE just can not handle it.  Haveing a few 486 do it, will not
serve very well, you need to figure what machine the feed will goto, what
machine will handle uucp, and what machine will handle the readers.  And
getting them synced will hurt.

> >For a full feed I would suggest 2*4*4 SCSI drives spread over two fast
> >controllers.

What about a few 9s

> >That should be running on a P128 with 198MB of RAM, and linked to the net
> >with a minimum of T1.
> >
> >I suggest starting with something a lot less, and only taking in some
> >groups :)
> >
> >> Required reading?
> >
> >http://www.isc.org/isc/inn.html
> >
> >> Required software?
> >
> >ftp://ftp.vix.com/pub/inn

With NOV.  It makes the expires run fast.

Stefan

Stefan Molnar                  Team Exis.Net
stefan@exis.net                   Member EFF
Slightly Silly                     Team OS/2
east-coast-ambassador@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
"She turned me into a Newt!  A Newt?
I got better."     -Monty Python