Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 12:02:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        jadeite <jadeite@light.pomona.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, jadeite wrote:

> what is the rule of thumb for configuring the sizes of the SWAP, /, and
> /var filesystems?

The disklabel editor in Sysinstall has an 'a'uto option that will give you
some conservative numbers that may work for small/medium workstations.
Power users like me need more :)

/:  Your root FS. Contains the kernel and basic system binaries and /tmp.
I run mine at 50mb, which seems to work fine for everyday work.

/var:  Contains logs, mail spool, printer spool, etc.  Should be big
enough to hold this w/o filling.  I run mine at 50mb.

SWAP:  Depends on usage.  Equal size with memory is a good start, or if
you don't have much RAM, then scale to 2x or 3x.  If you plan on running
XWindows then double that.  With 32mb of RAM, I have a 100mb swap
partition and use a small chunk of it.

On the old disk, I had 16mb of RAM and 32mb of swap running X.  I could
fill it if I started up some really big mbone tools.  I was swapping if I
started an xterm, and that slowed things down quite a bit.  The current
config fits everything in RAM with a little spillover, depending on what
I"m doing at the moment.

> what types of programs use the SWAP a lot?

Xwindows and associated programs will gobble up ram pretty quickly and
force you to swap.  Netscape and Xemacs are really bad.

Here is my df and swapinfo for reference.

gdi,ttyp4,/dev,18>df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a       49231    34225    11068    76%    /
/dev/wd0e       49231    13775    31518    30%    /var
/dev/wd0f      824143   583304   174908    77%    /usr
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
gdi,ttyp4,/dev,19>swapinfo
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/wd0b      102400     2760    99576     3%    Interleaved

Hope this helps.