Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 20:44:21 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, terry@lambert.org, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org
Subject:   Re: Building Solaris->FreeBSD cross binutils

> From deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org Fri Mar 28 20:23:38 1997

> Not having GNAT is one of the big roadblocks in our making heavier
> use out of FreeBSD.  I _really_ want to get this built.

If you are seriously interested in GNAT, then you may want to try bootstrapping
it from a working NetBSD or Linux version.  In fact, I was once able to get an
older version of GNAT working in FreeBSD using the Linux version running in
FreeBSD's binary emulation mode as a bootstrap!  It seemed to work okay, but
failed one of the floating-point demo programs, so I gave up.

Of course, now GNAT is a more complicated program to bring up, because you'll
need to test the tasking support against FreeBSD's implementation of POSIX
threads, and patch gnatbl to link with "-nostdlib -lc_r" instead of the
nonthread-safe C library.  Which makes it an even more worthwhile project,
because it has the potential to shake out any bugs lurking in our threads
library.  :)

Cheers,
Jake