Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:51:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCMGY+ZU5JPy4bKEI=?= <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 - when? which?

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > http://www.wassenaar.org - limits export of crypto bigger than 56/64 bits in
> > > about 33 EU countries and some others (US-like export limitations).
> >
> > I'm well aware of this, but we can only hit one nail at a time.  I
> > would expect foreign mirrors who have been "Wassenaared" to simply
> > exclude this portion of the mirror, just as I'm assuming they do for
> > the "des" subdirectory right now.  We can't emasculate security for
> > everyone on account of this, that would be far worse.
>
> The agreement specifically excludes software "in the public domain",
> where "in the public domain" is defined in such a fashion as to almost
> certainly let us through.
>
> Also, the Wassenaar agreement is a unified statement of intent, not a
> legal instrument itself; the signatory nations agree to eventually
> enact legislation which at least meets its criteria, but you can't be
> busted under the agreement itself.

Absolutely true, and it's causing all hell to break out in several
countries where it's virtually against their own constitution.  Norway
is having a fine time of it.

Also, the interpretation is varying, country by country.  Some countries
have taken a very hard line, some are quiet.  The crytography list from
c2.net has been full of these discussions.

Basically, there's lots of government inspired FUD, which the US
government is basically all in favor of, so they won't help.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).