Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 17:45:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Kenneth P. Stox" <ken@stox.sa.enteract.com>
To:        Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        Casper <casper@acc.am>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BESS internet filtering

On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Phillip Salzman wrote:

[SNIP]

> 	I was mostly interested if someone knows about the legal status
> 	of doing something like this.  Will we lose our carrier status
> 	as an ISP, and become provider of internet content?  Have you
> 	ever heard of someone being sued due to finding pornography
> 	when it was supposed to be filtered (even though we will say
> 	"This does not entirely remove..."), etc.

Another issue, on which I have seen little discussion, is the inverse
case. What are the liabilities for filtering a site which has no
pornographic content ? I recently had the chance to experience this first
hand. One of the experiments, where I work, is known as Dzero. They have a
rather sizable web site which they use to publish scientific data,
dissertations, and other documents ( Some 400,000 pages at last count ). A
decision was made to reorganize the site, and the newly re-organized site
was put under a URL which contained the string "newdzero" or something
close to that. Suddenly we were barraged by complaints that these pages
were not accessible. Turns out that a number of filtering services were
blocking the site, or portions of the site, since it contained the string
"newdz" which is claimed to be hacker-speak for "nudes." Fortunately, this
is a group of very understanding physicists, and no litigation was
threatened. A few kind emails cleared up the situation quickly, along with
some changes in URL's.

In a slightly different case, had this been a commercial site, I could see
all sorts of litigation, from liable to civil rights violations.

Just some food for thought.

-Ken Stox
 stox@enteract.com
 stox@fnal.gov