Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:02:30 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Michael Allman <msa@dinosauricon.com>, BSD <bsd@shell-server.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Constant panics on 4.1-STABLE!

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 12:49:49PM -0500, Chris Dillon wrote:

> Try a new power supply, too.  This won't make you feel any better, but
> I recently fought a system that I never found out what was causing
> the problems.  I had gone through many combinations of motherboards,
> CPUs (both Intel and AMD, this was a Socket-7 system), power supplies,
> ethernet cards, video cards, RAM, hard drives, CDROM drives, etc...
> NOTHING was the same when I was done, yet I kept having the same
> problems.  It was almost as if the case itself was posessed (or maybe
> I was cursed), as that was the only thing I hadn't changed.  I knew
> it was a hardware problem because the weirdness occurred regularly
> in both FreeBSD and NT4 Server, even during initial installations
> of FreeBSD or NT4.  I finally gave up and just got an entirely new
> system.  I haven't had a single problem with it.

I just had to chime in here. I thought I was the only one who was
cursed. I had essentially the same situation as you described above. I
finally bought a new case & power supply, motherboard & CPU. The
motherboard I got was DOA. I got another one and it ran for about a
month and then died. This was an Asus motherboard and Asus has a very
good reputation. At this point I was even suspecting my UPS as the
culprit. I ordered a different brand of motherboard (Tyan) and the
system has been working for about a year now with zero downtime.

The take home lesson: PC hardware can be flaky.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252