Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:33:43 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with install bootup

When I boot from the kern floppy my system hangs after the following is
printed to the screen:
/boot.config: -P
Keyboard: no
-
BTX loader 1.00   BTX version is 1.01
My system is an Acer Aspire PIII 450, 128MB RAM, 8GB HD with the following
hardware:
   Human Interface Devices (HID) USB mouse and keyboard
         (*NOTE* only USB keyboard - no PS/2 or AT-style ports)

   Intel 82443BX Pentium II Processor to PCI bridge
   Intel 82443BX Pentium II Process to AGP Controller

   Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
   Intel 82371EB PCI to ISA bridge (ISA mode)
   Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
   Intel 82371AB/EB Power Management Controller
(the Intel 82371AB/EB architecture is specifically supported according to
the harward notes at freeBSD.org)

   ATI XPERT 98 Display adapter
   Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 70 Monitor

   ESS Solo-1 Soundblaster sound card

   Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS

   Acer 56K DataFax PCI Modem

   3com FastEtherlink XL 10/100MB TX Ethernet NIC (3C905B-TX)

   Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-2500

   Generic IDE Harddisk and Floppy disk

First: It's my understanding that USB is supported so I don't understand why
I get the message "Keyboard: no."  Second: Everything seems to go well for
2-3 minutes: the drive is humming, I get messages on the screen, etc but
then the baton stops turning, the floopy stops (I guess it has finished
reading) and nothing happens.

Can anyone explain this?

NOTE  I have the second floppy disk: mfsroot and I have tried putting it
into the drive after a couple of minutes of inactivity (despite not being
prompted to do so) but nothing happens (even after hitting return a few
times).

What is the correct behavior?  Shouldn't there be a prompt for the second
disk?

I am very excited about getting freeBSD.  I read a lot about installation
and freeBSD before I started the install process, but I never thought I
would have problems this early in the install process.

I have used VAX/VMS and Win95/98/NT for many years.  I was going to try
RedHat but Linux doesn't support USB.  This seems to have been a lucky
coincidence since it appears that freeBSD is *much* better (more stable,
more centralized, coherent development, astoundingly easy to use/upgrade
especially with PORTS system, and a license that appears to be better for
developers).  FreeBSD appears to be the best kept secret in "free" operating
systems!

John
jmd526@hotmail.com