Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:08:30 -0700
From:      mdickerson@officeonweb.net
To:        "Uldis Kuplis" <uldisk@hipo.lv>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail

Uldis,

I'm using 'pop_auth'. Basically, it uses a perl script to constantly modify
a database of accepted IP's to accept relaying from. When someone
authenticates using their pop daemon, their ip is added to acceptable relays
for 5 minutes. I couldn't find the exact one I'm using on the sendmail
site, but the a different version (that appears to do the same thing, more
or less) is here (and you must modify your /etc/sendmail.cf - I forget if I
had to rebuild the .cf):

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/chk-opt.html#_POPAUTH_

I use 'poprelayd' that I found from sourceforge.net with a modified script
(thanks to Sheldon Hearn) for cucipop (again, I couldn't find the exact one
on sendmail site, but the link above seems to work pretty much the same).

I'm interested in what others are doing (if there are other solutions). I
couldn't get smtp_auth to work with sendmail 8.11.1 but that was a while
ago (haven't tried since the last postings of the smtp_auth issues a week
ago or so). There are other issues to deal with if one goes that route
though (issues for me anyway, both good and bad).

Hope this helps,

Mike Dickerson
OfficeOnWeb.net