Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:25:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pedro F Giffuni <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OS portability (was: Things you learn in school)

On Sunday,  8 July 2001 at 19:44:46 -0700, Pedro F Giffuni wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> OK, let's take a look.  RS/6000?  Linux does, NetBSD doesn't really.
>> Ultra SPARC with PCI bus?  Linux does.  Last time I looked, NetBSD
>> didn't.  S/390?  Linux does, NetBSD doesn't.  SMP machines?  Linux
>> does, NetBSD doesn't.
>>
>> Especially from an IBM point of view, this points very much to Linux
>> as being the more portable system.  I don't think anybody cares very
>> much whether Linux runs on a Sun 3.
>>

> Admitedly, NetBSD and Linux offer interesting features for platforms
> that are already dying, but I don't think it's a real option for new
> equipment.
>
> The problem is: how many people actually buy a new Ultra SPARC or an
> IBM PPC to run Linux on it?

I can't give you any feedback on SPARC, but people do, indeed, buy
RS/6000s to run Linux on them.  The larger RS/6000s have a VM feature
which allows you to run different operating systems on different
processors, so AIX and Linux can coexist on the same system at the
same time.  I'm currently investigating getting NetBSD or FreeBSD
running on these machines.

Greg