Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:23:21 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to get a reverse DNS mapping for a 10.x network ?

Hello,

I run a small platform where there are about 30 PCs, all on the same
10.0.1.x subnet (according to the RFC-1918).

I have a translating gateway (using FreeBSD and nat) to the internal
enterprise network, where "standard", legal IP addresses are used.

I have set up a DNS for my internal network, which can forward queries
to the enterprise DNS server (as all outgoing packets go through natd,
this allows people in the inside network to surf the intranet and mount
NFS partitions from outside NFS servers).

My problem is that I cannot get the reverse mapping to work : I have set
up named with two files for direct and reverse mappings and only the
direct mapping works. From what I've read in the named doc, I may have
to create a "root server" for the 10.x.y.z (10.in-addr.arpa zone), but,
so far I haven't foud how to do it.

Any taker ?

	TfH

PS : this on FreeBSD 3.2-R, using named 8.1.2

quick'n dirty network drawing :

enterprise    nat-ing                      inside      (other
network    -- gateway --(10.0.1.x subnet)--DNS server-- PCs)