Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:28:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      <bsd-stable@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   having problems with realtek under 4.0?

after upgrading my test machine from 3.4 to 4.0 a few days ago, i noticed
that my Ovus NIC (realtek 8139) was having some serious problems passing
data.

the difference wasn't between 1.5 and 1.2M/sec... more along the lines of
1-2K a second with stalls, etc... remarkably enough, there were no kernel
or driver messages during these tests.

it appears that the rl driver under 4.0 is having problems with auto-
negotiatiion.  i decided to try hard setting the media type before
running out to get another intel card.  lo-and-behold... it works
again.

please note, this problem appeared on a 10Base network.  I haven't test-
ed whether or not the same problem occurs autodetecting in an 100Base
environment yet.

Regards,
Stephen

 "We have enough youth.  How about a fountain of SMART?"
  [message seen on a button]
                                           Stephen D. Spencer - Lawrence, KS