Date:      20 Feb 2001 05:51:48 +0100
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@poboxes.com>
To:        "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: COPTFLAGS without -O in /etc/make.conf breaks kernel make

"Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de> writes:

> Here's a weirdness in 4.2-RELEASE kernel generation:
>   - Compiling a GENERIC kernel _Without -O optimiser causes a broken make !
>   - Compiling a GENERIC kernel _With_ -O optimiser compiles OK.

this question is cyclic. and yes, the kernel *have* to be compiled
w/ -O turned on. sorry, I don't remember why.

if you want yo put something to COPTFLAGS, try something like this :

# the only way I've found to see if I'm in the kernel tree or no !
IS_SYS?=        ${.CURDIR:M*/sys*}

# make sure COPTFLAGS contains -O for kernel builds.
.if !empty(IS_SYS)
COPTFLAGS=      -O
.endif

# add your stuffs...
COPTFLAGS+=     -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-builtin

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@poboxes.com   UNIX is user-friendly; it's just particular
work: mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre@edf.fr   about who it chooses to be friends with.