Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:49:24 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   ES1888 in DELL Latitude XPi 133ST

I have a DELL Latitude XPi 133ST notebook PC. According to the
documentation, it has a "ES1888" soundcard. I have tried the VOXWARE
driver, Luigi's pcm driver, and the ESS-specific pcm driver[0]. None
of them have worked.

Does anyone have this card working (c'mon, there's gotta be more than
one of these notebooks out there)?

I am running a straight (non-PAO) 3.4-STABLE on the notebook. I can
get each of the driver sets to find the card (the only modification is
that it is at 0x230 rather than 0x220[1]), but none can work it. Here
is the dmesg and an attempt at use for each,

VOXWARE:

  sb0 at 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
  Hmm... Could this be an ESS688 based card (rev 11)
  snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
  sbxvi0 not found
  sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
  opl0 at 0x388 on isa
  snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>

  % cat sound.au > /dev/audio
  SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd3) timeout. IRQ conflict ?

Luigi's:

  pcm0 at 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
  ESS1868 (rev 11)

  % cat sound.au > /dev/audio
  timeout flushing dbuf_out, chan 1 cnt 0x7414 flags 0x00000441

ESS-specific:

  pcm0 at 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
  ESS Chip (rev 11, 5959, native mode)

  % cat sound.au > /dev/audio
  timeout flushing dbuf_out, chan 1 cnt 0x7414 flags 0x00000441

Hmmm... Last two look similar, no?

Anyway, the card did work on the Win98 that came on the HDD before I
nuked it, and the card was at IRQ 5 in Windows.

Any advice? Thanks.

[0] Apparently these are some PAO mods to the sys/isa/snd for ESS that
can stand alone.

    http://home.jp.freebsd.org/~sanpei/

[1] I found this trick in the mail archives. Some fella was trying to
get one of these cards working almost exactly a year ago.

    http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1518810+1521246+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-questions/19990321.freebsd-questions