Date:      Sat, 25 Dec 1999 00:18:14 -0500
From:      "Charles Anderson" <caa@columbus.rr.com>
To:        Theo van Klaveren <havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com, joe@via.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's the best accellerated graphics card for XF86?

On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 12:58:34AM +0100, Theo van Klaveren wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 patrick@whetstonelogic.com wrote:
>
> > On 23 Dec, Joe McGuckin wrote:
> > >
> > > Now tha GLIDE for FreeBSD is available, what's the best video card
> > > for playing quake, etc?
> > >

> Well, since GLIDE only support 3DFX cards, I'd say your choice is
> pretty limited :)
>
> Besides that, the port I've done only supports the (now ancient)
> Voodoo Graphics based cards. For Voodoo2/3, look at Doug Rabson's
> patches to the original source code.

GLX works pretty good with my g400 max, It get 37.4 fps at 640x480 Normal
settings with quake3.

> > And, who is going to build us a FreeBSD Quake 1, now that the source is
> > out!
>
> Sorry, I only got as far as the server so far :-)

I've built glquake but I still has some bugs to work out.

> The X11 client built, but there is a bug in Quake's assembly code
> (methinks) that produces a SIGBUS in memset() ... haven't investigated
> thourougly(sp?) yet.
>
> I'll try and build the GL client, but I haven't got high hopes...
> If anyone is intersted, I can give you my patches to the QuakeWorld
> code (it fixes the Linux CDROM code and some other Linux specific
> thingies).

See above, the gl code was actually pretty easy on a first pass sort of thing.
(Notice I'm not saying it's usable yet.)

> Theo van Klaveren <havoc@phoenix.student.utwente.nl>
>  http://phoenix.student.utwente.nl  /  ICQ #1353681
>
>  - Why, oh why didn't I take the _blue_ pill?

-Charlie
--
Charles Anderson	caa@columbus.rr.com

No quote, no nothin'