Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:01:20 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad pack magic number

What do I do about this?

I followed Seppo Kalio's instructions about adding another disk and
ran fdisk. The output I got from fdisk was this when I had finished:

We haven't changed the partition table yet.  This is your last chance.
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
 cylinders=2337 heads=4 sectors/track=71 (284 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=2337 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

Information from DOS bootblock is:
0: sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)

start 0, size 655360 (320 Meg), flag 0

beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
end: cyl 319/ sector 32/ head 63

1: <UNUSED>
2: <UNUSED>
3: <UNUSED>
Should we write new partition table? [n] y
bash# disklabel -e -r sd1
Bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)
bash#

I am using an Adaptec 1542B controller. This always gives 64 heads,
32 sectors, right? Where am I going wrong?

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

     Technical Support
     Professional Computer Manufacturers
     Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089