Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:59:24 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        Sean Santry <santry@bc.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv w/o Voxware

Sean Santry:
 |How are you?  I have installed the Fxtv 0.47 port on a FreeBSD-STABLE
 |(3.0) system using a Hauppauge WinCast/TV (BT878) and a SoundBlaster
 |PCI128.  Fxtv works great for me except for one thing:  I don't get any
 |sound.  I noticed in the README that one of the build-time dependencies
 |is Voxware.  Well, voxware doesn't support my sound card, but Luigi's
 |PCM driver does (and works quite well).  Should I be able to get  sound
 |out of Fxtv with this setup?

As far as I know, yes.  Ask Luigi <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> to be sure
though.

 |The sound driver works fine for everything but Fxtv (cdplayer, wav, au,
 |mp3, etc.) and I get sound out of the Tuner card under Windows.  If you
 |have any tips for me, I'd appreciate it.

 |- Sean
 |santry@bc.edu
 |
 |BTW:  I do get a *little* sound.  That is, if I turn the volume ALL the
 |way up, I can very faintly hear distortion in the speakers that follows
 |along with the people's mouths on TV :-)

Sounds like the audio is there but maybe on a different channel in your
soundcard?  Either that or the gain is mightly low coming out of the TV
card.

Have you tried running xmix and verifying your audio levels are all up and
unmuted?

This may also be BT878-related.  I recall seeing some 878 audio problems on
the list recently (but with regards to FreeBSD 2.2.8).  Grab the latest
driver from Roger's page:

http://vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk/bt848/

and give it a whirl.

Good luck!