Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 1996 17:02:42 +0530
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), torek@BSDI.COM, markd@grizzly.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SFIO (Re: Change to stdio.h to export `cookie?')

jkh> Well, OK, so you caught me..  I am trying to layer some additional
jkh> behavior on top of stdio and the read/write/seek/close redirection
jkh> takes me *most* of the way there, but for the rest I needed to juggle

tl> And wrapper all FILE * manipulation functions instead.

Hmm, this discussion reminds of `SFIO' from Bell Labs (?) (I remember
reading a paper (Usenix proceedings?) on it a long while ago).

Basically SFIO was a replacement for STDIO, with the proviso of stacking
file input and output primitives.  Parallels to STREAMS or VFS philosophy
could be drawn I guess.  This one could "push" a compression
layer over the regular I/O code and get compressed I/O etc etc.

It also claimed to have better signal handling than the original STDIO code.

Koshy