Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 13:35:55 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tar Crash?

This morning, I gound that the server had locked up and the hard disk light
was running non-stop. Had to reboot to single user and do fsck manually to
clean up all of the problems.... a mess of truncated files, bad blocks,
etc., but salvaged, rebooted and system seems to run okay....whew!

After doing some investigating, I suspect it was a weekly backup using tar
to a large file onto a separate hard disk. The output of the directory
index for the scheduled backup had stopped about half way and apparenly got
stuck there. If so, the lockup for was about 3 hours! Ouch!

Perhaps the tar file copy was too large, but I've forgotten the max size
allowed and cannot put my finger on it and not in the man pages.... does
anyone know about the max size for a tar file and is it likely to have
caused this failure/lockup? Also, wonder what damage if any was caused to
these two new HDs...??

Thanks for any thoughts on this issue....

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin