Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2013 05:50:35 +0000
From:      "Desai, Kashyap" <Kashyap.Desai@lsi.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@cisco.com>
Cc:        "scottl@netflix.com" <scottl@netflix.com>, "Radford, Adam" <Adam.Radford@lsi.com>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, "sean_bruno@yahoo.com" <sean_bruno@yahoo.com>, "Mankani, Krishnaraddi" <Krishnaraddi.Mankani@lsi.com>, "dwhite@ixsystems.com" <dwhite@ixsystems.com>, "Maloy, Joe" <Joe.Maloy@lsi.com>, "jpaetzel@freebsd.org" <jpaetzel@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, "McConnell, Stephen" <Stephen.McConnell@lsi.com>
Subject:   RE: LSI - MR-Fusion controller driver <mrsas> patch and man page

Fast Path will not be enabled for Cached VDs. Driver choose Fast Path provi=
ded information from firmware.
You can find out those bits (fpCapable) in Raid Map.

>  I could probably read through the code to figure it out but
> thought it would be good to get an idea of how LSI plans to use it since =
you
> guys are the experts on this feature.  I understand from Adam that LSI us=
es
> this to increase the IOPS.  I can see it potentially used if an SSD is in=
 the
> system so then LD or PD access could be improved to that type of device. =
 In
> past experience fast path was slower and created a bunch of SCSI sense
> errors reported by the RAID firmware.  That is one reason why I removed
> support of fastpath in mfi.  I also didn't want to introduce potential bu=
gs if
> the RAID firmware and driver got out of sync. due to bugs.  Recently we
> found with SW RAID that trying to load balance IOs across drives can defe=
at
> read ahead caches of disks.

LSI have never heard anything like above in <megaraid_sas> linux Driver or =
any other OS driver for MR controllers.
If there is really such a case, we can correct it or provide user option to=
 bypass load balancing, but as I mentioned, we have never hear anything lik=
e that from customer.

Thanks, Kashyap

> [...]
>=20
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 02:37:21PM +0000, Desai, Kashyap wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | Please consider attached patch for FreeBSD upstream check-in.
> |
> | Please find attached patch for <mrsas> driver for LSI's MegaRaid
> Controllers. This driver supports Thunderbolt onwards Device IDs of MR
> controllers.
> | Currently it supports 0x005B and 0x005D Device IDs.
> |
> | NOTE : This driver will not eliminate or by pass any functionality of <=
mfi>
> driver which already support above to Device IDs to keep existing user
> experience unchanged.
> |
> | <mfi> Driver will be always given priority over <mrsas> driver and
> | only if customer/user wants to use/migrate from <mfi> to <mrsas>, it
> | will hook up into kernel via device.hint rules. (Attached is mrsas man
> | page for more info.)
> |
> | LSI will continue to update <mrsas> driver in future in timely bases.
> | We have another set of patch in pipeline to be submitted for <mrsas>,
> | but need first go ahead for attached patch and later we will continue
> | to keep <mrsas> up-to-date (In sync with LSI released driver which is
> | available at lsi's external site)
> |
> | Apply patch with "patch -p0 < patchname.patch" from head directory.
> |
> | -- Few notes for user--
> | LSI recommends using fusion_force bit In hint settings at start of the =
day, if
> they want to use <mrsas>. ( <mfi> will be a default choice for MR-Fusion
> HBA), if will be changed only with fusion_force hint settings. (See mrsas=
 man
> page) Changing any default behavior is well tested for most of the condit=
ion.
> | Switching from <mfi> to <mrsas> for MR-Fusion options is designed to
> allow user as one time choice, though multiple time switch from <mfi> to
> <mrsas> is possible, it is not recommended. So, user needs to decide from
> start of the day, which driver they want to use for MR-Fusion  card.
> |
> | -- Implementation details --
> | To support this feature, we have modify <mfi> code to change default
> return type from probe. Currently <mfi> driver return
> "BUS_PROBE_DEFAULT". <mfi> driver has been be changed to return
> "BUS_PROBE_LOW_PRIORITY" if fusion_force hint from device.hints  is set.
> | Please notice, above mentioned implementation in <mfi> driver is only
> applicable in case of  MR-Fusion controller detection. For any other
> controllers, supported by <mfi> driver, the behavior of probe return will
> remain same as before.
> |

> | -- High level feature list of <mrsas> -- 1. Supports Fast Path feature
> | of LSI controllers.
> | 2. Supports 4K sector Drives.
> | 3. CAM layer based interface. All VDs will be attached to CAM layer
> | (Expected storage will be visible in "camcontroll") 4. Complete
> | support of Online Controller Reset. (OCR) 5.  OCR on Fimrware fault and=
 IO