Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 18:00:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu (Guy Helmer)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cron skipped jobs during ST->DST change

> I just noticed that on Sunday, April 2 (the date of the Standard Time to
> Daylight Savings Time change here in the U.S.) cron (under 1.1.5) missed
> my /etc/daily jobs on all my systems with the default time of 2:00am for
> the job.  I'm not sure whether this is "correct" behavior or not...
>
> If cron hasn't been changed/fixed since 1.1.5, can we adjust the execution
> time for /etc/daily in the default /etc/crontab to be earlier than 2:00am
> (say, around 0:59am)?  Or, perhaps this is "locale-specific" and we system
> admins should know better than to leave cron jobs up to chance during time
> changes; if this is the case, however, it would be nice to have a warning
> in the crontab(5) man page...

This is currently being discussed in the BSDI lists and the solution that
struck me as sensible is to be able to specify that a cron job is executed
at UST rather than local time. That'll guarantee it always gets run. There's
also a problem when DST goes the other way in that the jobs get run twice.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/