Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:57:47 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alepulver@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-performance@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Gaim log writing delays the system

--Sig_nx9FMI7yBEIq0INZdRL9xWZ

Hello.

I have enabled logging in Gaim, and when a chat message arrives and it
is logged the disk writing delays (freezes) the system for less than a
second, it can be noticed for example with XMMS which does a strange
sound during that period.

I think this problem is related to the system and not the port, that's
why I asked here. Also I guess more information is needed about this,
like ktrace/truss output of Gaim together with kernel statistics
(vmstat/iostat). But other than ktrace, I don't use them. What would be
the commands to get the most relevant information about this?

I am using FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, and the boot message is here (the file
dmesg_machine_2.txt):

http://people.freebsd.org/~alepulver/disk-crash.tar.bz2

I posted this in freebsd-hackers@ and got no answer, maybe this is the
right place.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ale

P.S.: please CC me as I'm not subscribed.