Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 00:11:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Julian Stacey jhs@freebsd.org" <jhs@vector.jhs.local>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few NITS about SCSI Tapes

--------

Sorry this got delayed ....

Hi, Reference:
> From: Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
> Date: Thu, 04 Jan 1996 20:03:23 -0500
>
> And one more:
>
> I don't see any way to retension a qic-150 tape with mt.  ``mt eom''
> doesn't go to the end, and cating the device to /dev/null is
> problematic when the tape actually *needs* to be retensioned (as
> in you get errors reading...).

Some time back I wrote a tool for testing & sizing tape media,
it will optionaly rewind & such too,
it's one of my collection of tools that compiles & run on FreeBSD & (Ugh) DOS
I'm sending you a mail with it
	(16K uuencoded testblock.c Makefile testblock.1,
	to you only to avoid flooding list)
I'd be quite happy to release it under the standard UCB/BSD rights style header.
Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/