Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 2002 20:59:08 -0500
From:      Peter DrakeUnderkoffler <freebsd@ratgut.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony Clie, USB and coldsync problems..

I've been trying to sync my Sony Clie T415 via USB
to my systems.

Here are the current stats:

O/S:
FreeBSD bsdbos01 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #5: Sun Dec  9 18:31:09
EST 2001     root@zit.ratgut.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/ZIT  i386

.coldsyncrc

listen usb {
        device: /dev/ugen0;
        protocol: net;
}
pda "Clie Palm" {
        snum: 289330-2137;
        directory: /export/home/pcd/clie;
        username: "P. DrakeUnderkoffler";
}

command line:

coldsync -v -d io:7 -d misc:7 -d sunc:7

I then get:

Allocated sync_config 0x808d0a0
Allocating a new 'ctypes' array.
UID: 1001, euid 1001
HOME: "/export/home/pcd"
Reading "/export/home/pcd/.coldsyncrc"
Summary of sync configuration:
Listen:
        Type: 2
        Device: [/dev/ugen0]
        Speed: 0
        Protocol: 3
        Flags:
Known PDAs:
PDA:
        Serial number: [289330]
        Directory: [/export/home/pcd/clie]
        Username: [P. DrakeUnderkoffler]
        UserID: 0
        Flags:

The queue of conduits:
  Conduit:
        flavors: 0x0004 SYNC
        Creator/Types:
          [/] (0x00000000/0x00000000)
        DEFAULT
        Headers:
        Preferences:
coldsync version 2.2.5.
ColdSync homepage at http://www.ooblick.com/software/coldsync/
Compile-type options:
    WITH_USB: USB support.
    HAVE_STRCASECMP, HAVE_STRNCASECMP: strings are compared without
regard
        to case, whenever possible.

    Default global configuration file: /usr/local/etc/coldsync.conf
        Mode: * NONE *
        conf_fname: "/export/home/pcd/.coldsyncrc"
        conf_fname_given: False
        devname: (null)
        devtype: -1
        protocol: 0
        force_slow: False
        force_fast: False
        check_ROM: False
        install_first: True
        force_install: False
        use_syslog: False
        log_fname: ""

hostid == 0xc0a80a8c (192.168.10.140)

Debugging levels:
        SLP:    0
        CMP:    0
        PADP:   0
        DLP:    0
        DLPC:   0
        PDB:    0
        SYNC:   6
        PARSE:  0
        IO:     7
        MISC:   7
Opening device [/dev/ugen0]
Please press the HotSync button.
/dev/ugen0: Device not configured
/dev/ugen0: Device not configured
/dev/ugen0: Device not configured
Device information: /dev/ugen0 vendor 054c (Palm, Inc.) product 0066
(Palm Handheld) rev 1.00 addr 2
pconn_usb_open: Warning: Unexpected USB vendor ID 0x54c.
ConnectionInfo: entry 0 function Generic on port 1
ConnectionInfo: entry 1 function Hotsync on port 2
first setup 0x1 returns 2 bytes:  0x01 0x00
Hotsync endpoint name: "/dev/ugen0.2"usb_accept simple/net
ritual_exch_server: receiving ritual packet 1
usb read: Input/output error
Error reading NetSync packet header.
read: Input/output error
netsync_read(ritual resp 1) returned -1
usb_accept simple/net: ritual_exch_server() returned -1
Error: Can't connect to Palm.
Calling io_drain()
Freeing sync_config 0x808d0a0
ColdSync terminating normally

It simply hangs after the "ritual_exch_server..." line.  Then
when the T415 times out it's sync operation, I get the rest of
the message.  I ran truss while I was doing this on both coldsync
and usbd, both produced no output during that waiting period. It
almost seems as if it is waiting.  Anyone have any ideas?   Is
there a USB to serial adapter out there so that I can hook up
my T415 to the serial port for sync'ing?

Thanks
Peter DrakeUnderkoffler