Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 1997 18:50:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      alex fuchsstadt <afuchs@totum.plaut.de>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atapi cd problems reading last audio track

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> I am not sure if others are having this problem... with IDE CD driver,
> I have always had problems playing the last track of an audio CD. I use
> cdcontrol, and when I specify "Play" without parameters (or specify a
> range which includes the last track on a disk) it complains sayin
>
> 	cdcontrol: Input/output error

Check how long is the playtime of this CD. Some audioCDs exceed the
defined maximum playtime by a few minutes. It depends on the tracking area
of the LaserPickUP's mechanic whether it can reach the outer tracks
correctly.
Also the up <--> down movement of the CD is larger at the outer tracks,
so maybe the PickUP is not further able to focus the laserbeam on the
surface.
These effects depend on the the particular hardware. Some players or
drives do it, some not.

> Quickly looking at the cdcontrol source, it seems that the arguments
> are directly passed to the driver, so the problem might be in the
> kernel, not in cdcontrol.
>
> BTW I can manage to play parts of the last track if I specify times
> instead of track numbers, and do not request for the complete track
> (e.g. leaving the last block or second out).
>
> Sounds like a bug in the kernel, where the boundary check is off by
> one... this is on 2.2.1 at least, I cannot check if it has been fixed.
>
> 	Cheers
> 	Luigi
> Luigi Rizzo                  |  Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
> email: luigi@iet.unipi.it    |  Universita' di Pisa
> tel: +39-50-568533           |  via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
> fax: +39-50-568522           |  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/

Alexander Fuchsstadt
R/3-Basis
Plaut Software GmbH