Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 07:08:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        rom_glsa@ein-hashofet.co.il (Gilad Rom)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: File format not recognized

Gilad Rom wrote:
> Hi. Ive read about the "make move-aout-libs" target and decided to give
> it a go. Ive issued that command and - it worked fine. What it did is
> move all of the aout libs into their place and all was well. Until
> suddenly processed started segfaulting and eventually my system was
> paralized because /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 had this error:
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: File format not recognized.
> whenever Ive tried running a dynamic binary it gave me this error.
> I have NO idea whats causing it, I can only boot single user and execute
> static binaries, I cant even rebuild aout tools again from the source
> tree, since it dies aswell.
>
> If I did something wrong, I'd LOVE to know about it and hopefully even
> get a tip about fixing it.
> I dont know what ld-elf is talking about, It gives no specific filename
> or error, just this general vague message.

Have you got any symbolic links in /usr/lib with single version numbers
(e.g. /usr/lib/libc.so.3) to aout libraries?

What libraries are left in /usr/lib?

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137