Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2013 02:34:01 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   RE: How to add zfs support to FreeBSD?

The tool for checking rc.conf(5) is my sysrc(8).

It will eventually be part of base (it's already checked into HEAD at usr.s=
bin/sysrc -- but not installed by default unless WITH_BSDCONFIG is enabled =
when performing a build(7) or release(7) process).

Currently, also available via ports in sysutils/sysrc

I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

There's essentially two ways to use it for your needs:

1. sysrc -n zfs_enable

Returns YES for example.

or...

2. For better performance, use the includes...

#!/bin/sh
. /usr/local/share/sysrc/sysrc.subr
f_sysrc_get zfs_enable

Returns YES for example.