Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:54:14 -0700
From:      Jon Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timestamping kernel messages

Poul-Henning Kamp [phk@critter.freebsd.dk] wrote :

> I think we need to revamp the console/logging system in toto.
>
> I think we should have a pseudo-device for console/log use,
> which stores thing in a circular buffer.
>
> Syslogd would then retreive stuff from that buffer, somewhat
> like what it does today.
>
> For tty console usage, we should have a kernel thread which
> picks things out of the buffer and prints it on the chosen
> console, and putting a timestamp on it would be a Good Thing.

I, also, am not happy with the current console code.

It has several problems that really irritate me, such as the fact
that messages are sent to the console one character at a time,
resulting in jumbled messages like:

	| MSoMuPn:t iAnPg  CrPoUo t# 1f rLoamu nucfhse:d/!d
	| ev/ad0a

It would be very nice to at least see printf() and friends insert
messages into per-cpu line buffers that are sent to the console at
every newline (of course we'd have to toggle that behaviour while
taking input from the console).

Funneling console activity through a circular buffer with one write
channel and several read channels could be useful, especially if
its also available from userland. I've got patches that do this to
klog (I would like to see the msgbuf stuff go). Being able to
"tail -f /var/klog" and get a trace of console activity is nice.

> This would also give us a good architecture for hooking up
> ethernet consoles.

Do you mean console over TCP?

I'd really like to see gdb -k over TCP, and asynchronous, too. It would be
nice to only tie one kernel thread to a gdb process and not the entire
system.

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.freebsd.org/