Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:46:46 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Network Administrator <gbntech@gbn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap problems

Network Administrator wrote:

> While I continue searching for that elusive consultant, let me ask a
> bit more specifically:
>
> Can someone tell me where to look for the problem that causes this failure:
>
>         swap_pager: out of swap space

It filled up your swap file system. While the price is right, I would
up the memory. Then you wouldn't swap as much. SDRAM access times on
that vintage will be 10-15ns. Accessing your HD will make it seem like
the memory is 8-15ms.

> This machine has been running (happily, I thought) for well over a
> year. It crashed with an unknown filesystem error last Friday and
> hasn't been right since.

Did you boot into single user mode and fsck your file systems? It
would act strange until you do.

Kent

> The machine is a Pentium II/300 MHz, 96 MB of RAM, and its swap
> partition is 201 MB. None of the filesystems are at greater than ~50%
> capacity.
>
> The version is: 2.2.7-RELEASE
>
> Ideas? TIA.
>
> -Bob
>
>       [ ]                   [ ]
>        |   { }    ( )        |    [ ]    Robert L. Missbach
>        |    |      |    ____ L _ _ |      gbntech@gbn.com
>          |   [ ]   |         |   |    Global Business Network
>          |        [ ]   ( )  |  [ ]   IT Network Administrator

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com