Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 21:43:29 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another "does LINT compile?" question

The "make" released with 2.1 doesn't appear to ever do much with the
"$<" makefile variable when the target doesn't have a suffix; if I do

foo:	foo.c
	echo $<

I get

% make
echo

%

The only difference in "make" from 2.1 to -current is

revision 1.5
date: 1995/11/01 12:18:32;  author: adam;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -16
Fix the :S modifier to substitute in each word of the variable, according
to the description in the manpage. g flag means "replace every occurence
in each word", and its absence means "replace first occurence in each word".
Previously, absence of the g flag was implemented to mean "replace first
occurence found in all words, and then stop replacing", which was incorrect.

which I don't think applies to $<.

/sys/compile/LINT/Makefile ends up using $< when building linux_genassym:

linux_genassym: $S/i386/linux/linux_genassym.c $S/i386/linux/linux.h
        ${CC} ${CFLAGS} -o $@ $<

which confuses cc mightily since it replaces the $< with an empty string.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this wrong?  (I didn't complain when I
first noticed it last week since I assumed I was doing something wrong or
someone else would notice it).

I have a shell script that tries to build LINT nightly and sends me email
if it fails.  Perhaps this output should go to the mailing list?

(I will have a hard time keeping my vow to always build LINT before
committing anything if LINT is always broken).

  Bill