Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 04:03:16 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Atapi CD issues

The mystery of the maniacal cd systems

Something is awry with my shiney new Plextor CD-RW drive. dmesg reports the
following on boot:

acd0: CD-RW <PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012A> at ata1-master using PIO4
acd1: DVD-ROM <DVDROM 12X> at ata1-slave using PIO4

Using the magic of sysctl as described in ata(4), I've enabled DMA on both
devices. This shouldn't make a difference as they both operate tolerably with
DMA enabled, however I should mention it anyway.

I can not mount verified good iso-9660 cdroms in the Plextor drive (acd0c). I
have tried at least 6 different data cds, and not a single one will take.
Every cd does take in the DVD-Rom (acd1c) though. To further confuse issues,
the Plextor does indeed burn CDs quite happily with burncd. What follows is a
demonstration of burncd creating a working CD using acd0c, mounting and
reading it in acd1c, and then failing to mount it using acd0c.

I'm puzzled. As always, any help will be met with appreciation and a large
virtual fruit or vegetable of your choice.

drizzle# /usr/local/bin/mkisofs -U -R -o /root/imagefile.iso /kernel.GENERIC
Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 255
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 10fa4
1824 extents written (3 Mb)

drizzle# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 4 data /root/imagefile.iso fixate
next writeable LBA 0
writing from file /root/imagefile.iso size 3648 KB
written this track 3648 KB (100%) total 3648 KB
fixating CD, please wait..

drizzle# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd1c /cdrom

drizzle# cd /cdrom

drizzle# ls
kernel.GENERIC

drizzle# cd ..

drizzle# umount /cdrom

drizzle# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrw
cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Invalid argument

--
Benjamin Krueger

"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I
was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx