Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 00:36:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        tlt@tltodd.com (Terry Todd)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web shell

Terry Todd wrote:

> Has anyone built a web based shell interface?
>
> My local library has recently turned off telnet on their
> systems but still allow patrons to use a web browser.  It
> would be useful to be able to access my system at home via a
> web browser that presented a shell interface so their silly
> rule could be bypassed.

Try the URL:   telnet://name.of.a.host/

This works with lynx, but maybe not netscrape or exploder. It can
be blocked by the lynx configuration, too.

Another approach is to bring up apache at home, and have it give
you a shell. How? Dunno. This would be a general solution.
I would think the "homepage" to do this should be exquisitely
short, but I have no knowledge of how to do it. [hint to somebody else]

You can get a certain amount of home access using ftp:// of course.

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'