Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:50:15 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named messages in /var/log/messages

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:23:51PM +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hello,
>      I'm running bind in a sandbox as per the handbook. I've had this
> set up and (presumably) working okay since FreeBSD 4.6 Stable, and have
> today noticed these named entries in /var/log/messages:
>
>  named[143]: denied update from [host_IP].1268 for
> "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN

Are you running a DHCP server? On Windows 2K?

This is a host trying to insert a dynamic PTR record into your DNS.
That is usually a function of a DHCP server, and can be configured if
desired.  If you haven't configured dynamic DNS, then it's harmless
apart from taking up space in your log files.

W2K is notable for shipping with the dynamic DNS stuff turned on.
It's not just you: seems a lot of W2K machines try to update records
in the root servers too... Search for 'Syslog Errors' in
http://www.caida.org/outreach/presentations/ietf0112/dns.damage.html
for the depressing statistics.

	Cheers,

	Matthew