Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:56:23 -0800
From:      Network Administrator <gbntech@gbn.com>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap problems

At 1:46 PM -0800 12/12/00, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > Can someone tell me where to look for the problem that causes this failure:
> >
> >         swap_pager: out of swap space
>
>It filled up your swap file system. While the price is right, I would
>up the memory. Then you wouldn't swap as much. SDRAM access times on
>that vintage will be 10-15ns. Accessing your HD will make it seem like
>the memory is 8-15ms.

Hmm. I wasn't specific enough.

The question is: WHY is the swap f/s continuing to get filled up? It
didn't used to. The primary use of the machine is mail server. If I
kill all processes not directly related to that (httpd, named, etc.),
then sendmail or pop3d will eventually cause the swap space to
overflow. And I don't know what to look for.

>Did you boot into single user mode and fsck your file systems? It
>would act strange until you do.

Yes, I did. All filesystems check clean. I don't know how (or if I
want to) reinitialize the swap partition.

Thanks.

-Bob

       |   { }    ( )        |    [ ]    Robert L. Missbach
       |    |      |    ____ L _ _ |      gbntech@gbn.com
         |   [ ]   |         |   |    Global Business Network
         |        [ ]   ( )  |  [ ]   IT Network Administrator