Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:53:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Marcelo Leal <leal@myway.com.br>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: arp

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Marcelo Leal wrote:

> folks...
> sorry, but i trust in you :O)
> i have a problem, and don't know where find the answers... and that list
> is for net problems...
> my desktop freebsd give me a message: arp moved from: xxx to xxx... ARP
> MOVED????
> when i look in arp table.... the arp address of my dhcpd server is
> wrong!!! i put the right there... and reboot... look and.... the
> wrong!!!!
> this mac address is not from my network... (machines) ..
> maybe arp of the switch ports...
> thanks!!!
> and sorry by the english... :O)
> i'm brazilian.

You have more than one machine on the network that is attempting to
use the same IP address and/or your DHCP server is handing out leases
that are shorter than the ARP cache life and you are recycling DHCP
leases quickly.

I suggest you set your DHCP lease times to at least an hour or more
(my DHCP leases are one week), and make sure there are no
manually-configured machines that are attempting to use an address
from the DHCP address pool, or two manually-configured machines trying
to use the same address.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet
   - Available for IA32 (Intel x86) and Alpha architectures
   - IA64 (Itanium), PowerPC, and ARM architectures under development
   - http://www.freebsd.org