Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 16:16:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        marcs@znep.com (Marc Slemko)
Cc:        drow@drow.net, jas@flyingfox.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weird IP address

> On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> > > Back when domain registration was free, InterNIC would actually
> > > check the name servers you named, making sure that they were reachable
> > > and had proper NS and SOA records for your new domain.  If not, your
> > > registration was put on hold until you fixed things.
> > >
> > > Now that they're charging money for the service, evidently they
> > > can no longer afford to do this :-(.
> >

> > It strikes me as a little odd that InterNIC puts reverse DNS for the
> > nameservers on their root servers - in fact, judging by my past
> > experiences, I could ahve sworn that they did not.
> >
> > (In fact, hgaving just gone to check a few others, they do not)
> >
> > Apparently they only do so if no other NS is responsible for ther reverse
> > range specified!
> >
> > Go figure.  An InterNIC bug?
>
> Huh?  Why are you saying they are doing reverse DNS entries?  Nothing
> posted here suggests that.

Yes, they do:

Gatekeeper ulf /home/ulf > nslookup 111.111.111.111
Server:  gatekeeper.Alameda.net
Address:  207.90.181.2

Name:    NS1.MINDGFX.NET
Address:  111.111.111.111

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073