Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:32:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      nop@sendmail.ru
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/23090: FreeBSD (all versions) sends ARP requests for MAC resolving of local aliases

>Number:         23090
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD (all versions) sends ARP requests for MAC resolving of local aliases
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
FreeBSD of all 4.x versions sends ARP broadcast request for
resolving MAC address of any local IP, which is _local_ alias
on it's own ethernet interface. It can't find this MAC, because
it's not respond on it's own broadcast. This is problem when, for
example we have mass WEB hosting (IP based) on same machine and
indexing robot on the same machine, which create indexes of any
site, that is hosted on any of aliases on the same machine. We get
"TIMEOUT" for such query.
>How-To-Repeat:
#ifconfig ep0 inet xx.xx.xx.xx alias - create an IP alias in the same network as main IP.
#ping xx.xx.xx.xx
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down

>Fix:
Problem can be fixed by:
1) explict arp table change:
  arp -s xx.xx.xx.xx MA-CM-AC-MA-CM-AC pub
2) and of coz by kernel patching, I have no patch.

P.S. 1st method is rather anoying.