Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:14:49 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Ben Goodwin <ben@hamsterville.ultranet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still working on putting together machine

Ben Goodwin wrote:

> I know I asked this list earlier about a list of recommended hardware..
> I've been trying to get quotes together for systems, asking for the
> NCR53C875-based controller, and no one seems to be able to have them.
> I was also recommended the 2940, but I'm searching the archives and I'm
> a little scared to go with the 2940UW.  Is it going to function
> properly in 226R?   Maybe I can just get the SCSI card from some other
> vendor separately - any suggestions as to where I should purchase one
> from?  TIA!

Hi,

I'm the 'proud' or otherwise owner of 3 x 2940UW's, the only problem I've
had with them has been termination - which was my fault, and with 40Mhz
kicking around ribbon cable - you probably can't blame them for that... ;-)

I've never had any problems with them in FreeBSD - some people say there not
the fastest, to be honest - I've not tried anything else (though I've
thought about it).

They work, and at this point in my life - I'm quite happy with things that
'work'... (maybe that explains why I'm running FreeBSD? <G>)

Regards,

Karl