Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:45:55 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup - the next generation multi purpose netw. distrib. system (even for news ?!)

Thanks for the kind comments about CVSup!  I hope your repository is
healthy again.

> This night I was in a worry, because I had to ftp tons of MB's from
> gatekeeper, because I needed the Modula-3 package ...
>
> But I think every byte was worth fetching it !

You didn't want to just use the CVSup binary?  It's statically linked,
and doesn't require the Modula-3 package, or anything else.  And the
tar.gz file is only(!) about a megabyte. :-)

I am testing a new version of the Modula-3 port.  It's stripped
down quite a bit, so it builds faster and uses much less swap space.
Also, the package is about half the size.  I'll commit that as soon
as I can find the time.  (I've been having house guests here for
about 2 weeks now.)

> As you mentioned the advantages of cvsup over other network
> distribution programs like sup and nntp, I got the idea, that it
> should be possible, to distribute netnews very efficiently via
> cvsup, because one could treat a newsgroup hierarchie like a checkout
> CVS repository ...

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's practical.  Really, a
news hierachy is quite different from a CVS repository.  In a news
hierarchy, the individual files never change.  That is, each file gets
created, used, and deleted (expired), but nothing else happens to it
during its lifetime.  Once it's created, a file does not change.  In a
CVS repository, on the other hand, the files themselves are modified.

The main feature of CVSup is that it deals well with small modifications
to individual files.  That's where the bulk of the code is, and most of
the complexity too.

The parts of CVSup that would help with netnews are the secondary
features: (1) gzip compression, and (2) the streaming protocol.  The
streaming protocol is probably the most important.  Everybody who runs a
newsfeed recognizes that NNTP's biggest problem is its stop-and-wait
protocol.  That slows it down dramatically.

I think the best solution for news is to use an enhanced version of
NNTP, with a streaming protocol.  Jerry Aguirre implemented such a
protocol in INN some time ago, and quite a few people use it.  I've
never tried it, but I have read that it helps a lot.  Of course, you
have to persuade your newsfeeds to use it too.  Anyway, I think that
Jerry's patches are available from the same place where the INN
distributions are found.

Compression would also help, of course.  But compression is very CPU
intensive.  Some newsfeeds might not like the extra load.

One other point about replacing NNTP with CVSup is that, politically,
it would probably never happen.  NNTP, with all its flaws, is the
universal standard.  It would take a lot to get people to start
using anything different.  I think that, in the short term, people will
move toward a streaming version of NNTP.  In the longer term, the whole
netnews system will have to be replaced with something radically
different.

John