Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 23:46:45 +0900
From:      Ignaz KOHLBECKER <ignaz@fujita3.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   6MB Null-Bytes in Mathematica notebook files

When I save Mathematica notebook files, I get a file with the notebook
content plus about 6MB of Null-Bytes at the end of the file. After
deleting the Null bytes in the file, everything works fine again.

Does anybody know about this problem and possible solutions?
Is it due to the Linux emulation on FreeBSD?

I am using
	FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE
	XFree86 v3.2
	fvwm2
	Pentium 150MHz
	Mathematica 3.0 in a.out format

When running Mathematica, I get only several lines of the well know and
harmless(?) message:

	LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=8, typ=0x89(), num=0x27 not implemented

>From Mathematica Support, I got the following:

> I still have no info on the null character problem
> but we do have one other user with the same problem.

and:

> Unfortunately, we do not support FreeBSD or any other
> emulations of Linux or other systems, so I can not offer
> much help.  One of our developers suggested that the Linux
> system truncate call might not be working correctly under
> FreeBSD (or maybe fseek, ftell or something).  To investigate
> that and figure out what to do about it, you will need to
> consult someone who works with FreeBSD.

> Wolfram Research Technical Support - Student Versions

Ignaz Kohlbecker