Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:33:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen Beitzel <sbeitzel@envolved.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New periodic.conf (was Re: SysV Style Init?)

On 20 Sep, Crist J . Clark wrote:
> That said, I was thinking of breaking /etc/security into an assortment
> of scripts. I would think it is frequently hacked by users. I have a
> Tripwire check for example. It be great if I did not have to manually
> merge that whole thing each time /etc/security changes. There is no
> reason it should not be done the same way the other periodic scripts
> are. But with this new /etc/periodic.conf has kind of quenched my
> enthusiasm.

I think that's a good idea and I'd like to encourage you not to be
quenched. ;-)

It seems to me that having lots of little scripts with an
/etc/defaults/<whatever>.conf that's overridden by /etc/<whatever>.conf
and then extensible via /usr/local/etc/<whatever>.local or
/etc/<whatever>.local is the *BSD way. It's been that way for rc files
for a while, and the /etc/periodic/* changes were just to bring things
into line. If there are changes that people commonly make to the
standard periodic scripts that aren't covered by the variables in
periodic.conf, then that sounds more like an opportunity to patch the
scripts to add behavior modifying variables.

And as far as the security report goes, I think it'd be great for
stylistic consistency as well as for maintainer convenience to have that
system work just like everything else.

Steve