Date:      Sat, 25 Dec 1999 13:07:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using vgl

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Tim Tsai wrote:

> I'm trying to do some work based on vgl but it appears that it is tied to
> syscons and any vgl programs must be started off a console.  Is there any
> way I can start a vgl program from a remote terminal (but have the output
> be displayed on the local VGA screen) without writing a proxy of some
> kind?

Err... why do you want to do that?  Even if it's a big program, it should
be properly written so that the frontend and backend can be separate
and network-transparent, if that's to be its purpose.  So the big question
is, why aren't you using X11?

> I peeked at the source and there are various syscons related ioctl() calls.
> Any reason that /dev/io and /dev/mem wasn't used instead?

That's simple.  We're not trying to move to making things MORE platform-
specific.