Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 1998 03:13:35 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com, FreebSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ELF

On Sat, Sep 05, 1998 at 11:47:49PM -0700, William Woods wrote:
> Now that I have current running elf fine, I am slowly compiling the packages
> and ports I have from aout to elf. I saw a few things earlier about Xfree,
> but forgot to save em.....will Xfree compile elf ok?

Until XFree makes changes (which will probably happen about the same time
the ports tree is officially elf), these files need editing:

Make sure you have ~300-350 Meg free
$ make patch
$ vi work/xc/config/cf/FreeBSD.cf
(search for CppCmd and ExtraLoadFlags)
/usr/libexec/cpp does not use -D__ELF__ by default (so add it)
the -R option for 'ld' does different things for aout and elf.  -rpath does
what you want for elf (and you may want to append ,-rpath,/usr/local/lib as
well)
$ vi work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/assyntax.h
$ vi work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/vga256/drivers/s3_svga/s3accel.c
$ vi work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xaa/xf86expblt.c
(search for __ELF__, make sure FreeBSD does the elf option when __ELF__ is
defined)
$ make install

I haven't had any problems with XFree being elf (except it hasn't been very
long).

--
Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no