Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 14:03:12 -0700
From:      SKG <skg@asis.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mouse problems

Is anyone else out there running freeBSD on a se440bx MB with a scsi hd &
ms intellimouse?

Hi - been messing about for over a week now, but the mouse daemon in
sysinstall absolutely refuses to find the MS intellimouse that works fine
on other systems.
Here's the error message on device config: "psm0 not found at 0x60".....
The odd thing is that I could see that when first installing off a boot
disk, psm0 is found OK.
It's only after this point that it somehow loses contact with the mouse.
I'm using the Novice install route.

System is the se440bx mb, 9 gig scsi hd with win 95 on separate
partitions.....no boot mgr - using boot disk. Tried reinstalling many many
times - everything else is detected on boot except the mouse. I'm using
freeBSD ver 2.2.6, and the bios pnp setting is off (tried on with no luck).
I even tried in device configuration to change the irq & address of the p&p
mouse - usually this led to crashes. Tried eliminating conflicts similarly
with little luck.

If anyone has managed to configure freeBSD on this mb, etc,  please let me
know!
(The system is a Micron millenium 6 with I740 vid card & awe64 sound card)
I've heard that this video card gives minimal video modes in xwindows - do
the problems extend to the mouse???

Next I'll try a com port mouse, but what a waste!

Thank you kindly for your consideration.........................

Steven K. Gill

"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand
by itself."
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia