Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:53:02 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

-On [19991209 16:03], Greg Lehey (grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com) wrote:
>On Wednesday,  8 December 1999 at 20:23:24 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
>>
>> 	This is -CURRENT.  It pains me to say it, but anyone trying to
>> run anything "useful" on -CURRENT gets what they deserve.  This is
>> the only place where we can make clean breaks with the past, and as
>> painful as that can be, we simply have to do that occasionally.
>
>Next month it'll be -RELEASE.  This isn't the time to remove such
>significant functionality.  If it weren't for that, I'd agree with
>you.

Think about that some more.

After that it will be 4.1.  Nice to give people a driver and then rip it
out when 4.1 comes when Soren fixes the last of the things people
needed to have into the ata driver.

I was already testing the ata driver and even procured some more info
for Soren than he already had.  Same goes for a bunch of other people.
But the opposite goes for a lot of people.

People running CURRENT to be cutting edge as in being elite with the
latest FreeBSD thus get bitten.

I'd say, cut loose the wd driver.  (VoxWare removed would be cool too.)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai           asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
Documentation nutter.          *BSD: Technical excellence at its best...