Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 22:25:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dcarmich@mcs.net (Douglas Carmichael)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free FreeBSD CD-ROM donations to environmental/non-profit groups?

Douglas Carmichael wrote...
> I was looking at the WWW site of an organization called the
> Environmental Support Center (http://www.envsc.org) and one of their
> functions is to donate Lotus software and computer equipment (Windoze :-(
> to non-profit environmental groups.
>
> What do you think of a program to donate FreeBSD CD-ROMs (because a lot
> of small grassroots organizations have no Internet access) to non-profit
> groups working on environmental or animal rights issues?
>
> Benefits:
> * Promotes FreeBSD
> * Gives the groups an advanced, open OS base for their own
> networking and computing needs without the extra cost of source licenses,
> etc.
> * Strengthens the goodwill of Walnut Creek (and FreeBSD Inc.) in the
> computing community and the activism community at large.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

	I think the FreeBSD project should avoid political involvement of
any kind.  I think that we would lose more than we would gain by supporting
one political point of view over another.

	If the issue were supporting some computing-related political
issue, it is (remotely) possible that FreeBSD might benefit from it.  (it
would have to be thoroughly discussed and widely agreed to, IMO, though)
In this case, though, I don't think it's a good idea.

[ just my $.02 ]

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry