Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:33:51 -0500
From:      "Travis H." <solinym@gmail.com>
To:        "Adam Clark" <adam.clark@ngv.vic.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ALTQ on a process on the router

On 7/12/06, Adam Clark <adam.clark@ngv.vic.gov.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am trying to perform ALTQ on a process running on the router itself.
>
> I have bound the application to to internal IP address (10.10.10.254),
> that which is bound to the internal interface.
>
> When I log-all packets passing out this interface, I cannot see any data
> going to 10.10.10.254, just other hosts on my network.  This is bound to
> be how it is meant to be, but its not healping my situation. Is there
> anyway to make the kernel put frames destined for itself on the
> appropriate interface?

No; the Unix kernel short-circuits any packets destined for any of its
interfaces and puts them on the loopback interface.  Perhaps you
should be looking there?

Why would you want to queue stuff that the router is sending to
itself?  It's not like you're bandwidth-limited, because it never goes
over a communications link.  It's CPU-limited, and it gets processed
as soon as it "appears" on lo0.
--
Resolve is what distinguishes a person who has failed from a failure.
Unix "guru" for sale or rent - http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/ -><-