Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 17:50:23 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burstable T1

At 05:18 PM 6/1/00 -0400, you wrote:
>> Burstable T1 (or DSL...same difference)..the provider simply puts a lot
>> more customers on the line.
>
>   From what I have been told, this is not the case. Of course talking to
>network reps is always entertaining, and not necessarily enlightening, so
>any input from others would be welcome.

Our building was recently wired by "onsite access" and I had 3 salesman
call on me (not knowing what ET does) and I got 3 different stories. Going
into the equipment room I found they were all lying (or they just didnt know).

>   The difference between a "full" T1 and a burstable T1 is simply the way
>you are billed. You still have a wire run into your location that is
>dedicated- you can "burst" up to the full T1 bandwidth, and you are billed
>according to some usage formula usually involving 95th percentile use or
>some-such "logic."

In our building a "burstable" T1 is $400/mo, flat rate and its 1200. for a
"dedicated T1", whcih kind of shoots your definition in the foot. Of course
there are only 2 T1s coming into the building, so there is no way for them
to give anyone a dedicated T1 in reality. It appears that they rate limit
everyone, and just use different settings (since everyone actually gets
connected via 10baseT). In their case, "burstable" is just a term for a
lower grade of service and you're not allowed to complain if the throughput
sucks.

Dennis