Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:10:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com>
To:        Yanek Korff <yanek@cigital.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NIS fails after upgrade to 4.6

It's reversed -- the FBSD box is the client, Solaris is the NIS master, so
it's using crypt by default.  As for authentication, I can't login (either
through ssh or the console).  The system is getting the NIS maps, it sees
my uid/gid.  I can 'su - dsilver', but it doesn't let me in the front
door.  I have a nearly identical 4.4 box which I've compared this upgraded
system to, and nothing seems to work;  the 4.4 box even has 'md5' in
login.conf -- I just tried changing this on the 4.6 to 'des' & ran
cap_mkdb, but still no luck.

I just added a local user and that worked properly.

I've run out of ideas on this -- anyone have a clue as to why this is
happening??

Doug Silver
Network Manager
Urchin Software Corp.	http://www.urchin.com