Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:38:03 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Small, I/O bound databasestorage device recommendation?

Dear FreeBSD Hardware,

I've got a machine with a small database (~100MB max) that is I/O bound. I
need the database to be on-disk transactional, so nothing is lost when
catastrophy strikes.

I've been looking at those IDE flash disks. Big enough to suit my needs.
Most important: no arm to swing, so seek time is rock bottom.

  http://www.web-tronics.com/webtronics/ideflasdison.html

All nice, but the transfer rate is only 16.7MB/s max. Seems to me that these
little suckers should be available at IDE max speeds, right? I mean, my
Maxtors stow away some 27MB/s, according to bonnie.

    Kees Jan

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.       [Douglas Adams]