Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 16:04:06 +1000
From:      Alastair Rankine <alastair@cia.com.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.99999?

At 05:55 PM 4/06/98 -0600, you wrote:
>fabulously stable, but -current has so many appealing features that are not
>being migrated back to 2.2.x (for instance, CAM, DOS VMs, long user names,
>64-bit dates, etc.) that I'd be sacrificing a lot if I installed 2.2.6. And

On a slightly related issue, it sure would be nice to be able to even find
out what's coming up in -current!

Linux Weekly News (http://lwn.net) is a great resource for keeping
up-to-date with the latest Linux developments. I visit weekly, even though
I don't have a Linux box. Something similar for FreeBSD would be great!

As a general observation it seems that the FreeBSD community as a whole are
far less inclined to tell the outside world about their achievments. Of
course I'm not advocating a genesis of a new breed of one-eyed zealots,
such as the Amiga users back in the '80s, the Guy Kawasaki Mac-Nazis or the
more extreme of the Linux crowd (or, Dog help us, the NT fanatics for that
matter :).

FreeBSD is still the great undiscovered secret of the times. It would be a
pity for it to stay that way.

Just some unwanted opinions from someone on the fringes.... (of what, you
decide :)

--
 [ Alastair Rankine ]        [ mailto:alastair@cia.com.au ]
             [ http://www.cia.com.au/alastair ]